Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Did It My Way

We chose to have a seventeen month long engagement. People questioned us on this decision over and over again like a broken record. The constant "why are you waiting so long" question got old real quick. When I ran into people they would ask me what I have planned so far, and I would follow up with a laundry list of what I have done. At the end of every conversation they would answer back with a snarky tone and say "isn't it a little early for that?"

This made me constantly second guess myself as to whether I was in fact planning too early. I would receive email updates from wedding websites and it would say I am 360 days out from the wedding and at this point I should start researching venues. I would sit there and think hmm, I did that six months ago. Was that bad? No, it is not.

We chose to give ourselves the precious gift of time. We wanted to enjoy the process of planning and I have had the opportunity to put all of myself into every detail. Why should I have to wait to plan everything just because of a long engagement? I dove head first into planning right after we were engaged. Within two months I had booked the venue, florist, DJ, got my dress and had my shoes. I was able to reserve my favorite vendors because I booked so early. (Except of course the bride who beat me at getting a makeup artist. Who ARE you?!)  Now with eight months out from the wedding, I am working on my guestbook alternative and getting ready to order favors.

Yes I might have done everything early, but ya know what? If I screw up a project, which I have done and will continue to do, I have time to fix it. Fact of the matter is, I am not stressed. Everything is at my leisure. As Frank Sinatra would say, "I did it my way."

I am by no means saying that long engagements are better than short ones. I am here to say that if you are planning a long engagement, stand by that decision and be proud of it because there are so many wonderful perks. Time flies when you are having fun, and I am having so much fun.

Life threw us a great big yummy chocolate fudge sundae when we got engaged, and we chose to put the cherry on top. With sprinkles, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment