Monday, January 30, 2012

The Lighted Tree

Lately I have been pretty bad in regards to projects. I tend to have an enormous amount of ideas running through my head that I have a hard time focusing on just one. This results in various semi-completed projects. I have made it my goal to finish up my old projects before I move on to new ones. (We'll see how long this lasts.)


Example A, my wishing tree that I wrote about three months ago. I had brought up the idea of adding LED lights to the vase, and you all agreed that would add some pizazz. Fast forward three months, I still have not added any lights. Honestly, I kind of forgot about it.

While I was at Party City this past weekend with my mom, I walked past a small box of LED string lights. My wishing tree flashed through my mind and so I bought this box of $4 lights.

{Image via Party City}

I almost did not buy them because I wasn't sure how this was all going to work. Would the string and the bulbs show through the beads? Would the beads block the lights? The logistics didn't seem to be in my favor, but I figured for $4 it was worth a shot.

Being that these lights are on a string wire, it actually made it easier instead of buying individual lights. I was able to start the string wire at the bottom and pour the beads into the vase at the same time. This left the on and off switch at the top for easy access. 

My wishing tree went from this:

To this:


The Colorfill beads that I used to fill the vase are designed to hide objects, but let light shine through. It actually worked perfectly! You don't see the on and off switch or the string wire, you only see the light glowing.

This is just what my tree needed to be complete. It looks wonderful during the day, but it looks extra special at night. That tree will shine beautifully once the sun goes down. 

Have you used lights for any of your projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment