Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Music Issues

You guys, I have a confession. I am not one of those cool people that know all the words to every song. Oh no, I am quite the opposite. In fact, I relate fairly well to Phoebe.

{Video via You Tube}

I don't know about you, but ever since that episode I am not able to properly sing Tiny Dancer. It's Phoebe's version all the way. Anyway, I tend to guess lyrics then eventually just assume I am correct and continue singing my version. 

For YEARS I was screwing up AC/DC's Dirty Deeds. I thought the part that said "done dirt cheap" was "thunder chief."  Looking back, I realize those lyrics don't make any sense. I just figured AC/DC is super awesome so they can sing whatever they want, even if it didn't make sense. Until one day my family caught me singing along and quickly paused the song to ask what the heck I was singing. Needless to say, they have been having fun at my expense ever since. 

My point here is that I tend to listen along to the rhythm of songs instead of actually paying attention to the lyrics. A great example is that creepy song by Foster The People, Pumped Up Kicks. It's a happy little diddy, but oh.my.gosh....the lyrics are freaky and probably not okay. Am I right? 

When it has come to picking music for the wedding...I have to admit that I am failing miserably. Again, I am listening to the rhythm of songs instead of taking into account the lyrics. 

One of mine and Mr. Buck's favorite bands is Steve Miller Band. Who doesn't love The Joker? I thought hey, this is perfect for the garter toss. It has the absolute perfect beat. I brought this up to Mr. Buck. His response?

"Miss Doe, do you really think it is a good idea to have a song playing about a midnight toker?"

Well shoot, I guess I never really thought of that. Scratch that song, probably not the best choice. Although it is a fun song, just maybe not for our wedding. 

I keep running into this problem though. I pick out great songs, but the lyrics just don't match up well for the wedding. I need some help in the music department because I am completely hopeless.

Do you have music issues like I do? Has there been a song you wanted to use for your wedding, but won't be able to because of certain lyrics?

No comments:

Post a Comment