Friday, October 19, 2012

We Do(e): Toasting Time With A Few Good Laughs

After the journey from the drizzling outdoors into the warm ballroom indoors, it was time to begin toasts. I am the type of person that enjoys giving toasts, receiving is a whole different story. Hearing people say such nice things about you and being surrounded by so many people is quite overwhelming. It also makes you feel incredibly blessed and loved.

My sister had worked so hard on her toast and it definitely showed. It was the perfect mixture of humor and sentiment. She even made reference to the top movies and songs that were out during the time Mr. Buck and I met. Such as Kelly Clarkson "A Moment Like This" Usher "You Got It Bad" as well as the first Harry Potter movie. This definitely got the crowd laughing with big toothy smiles.




It was then the best man's turn to make his speech. I hate to call him out on such a public website but I have to be honest...he really had not prepared a speech. As in he completely winged it. BUT, he is the type of guy that can do that and pull off something great. Let me tell you, he succeeded and he had the crowd roaring with laughter. Just check out my facial expression:

It was in it's most literal form, gut wrenching laughter.  


And the crowd:


Without much preparation he truly pulled off a perfect best man's speech in which he made not only the groom but also the bride feel his love and sincerity. 

Then a few unexpected family and friends made a toast to us as well. It really did surprise me yet also made me feel all kinds of ooey gooey special inside. 






My best friends made a duo speech where they recapped humorous moments all the way from when we were babies up to my baccalaureate party. When you have been friends with someone for 25 years, you can bet that there are some pretty good moments to share. 


My dad capped off the toasts in which there wasn't a dry eye in the room when he was finished. He was incredibly heartfelt and spoke absolutely beautiful words. Many of our guests told us my dad's toast was one of the best they have ever heard, and I would have to agree with them. (Because i'm not bias or anything...)



Mr. Buck and I knew we were planning on saying a few words after all the toasts were complete. It would have been smart if we had actually planned something but alas we were a little busy ya know, getting married and all. Right before the toasts took place I glanced over at my friends and gave them a frightened look and mouthed "I have no idea what to say". 

They told me to just smile, thank everyone for being here and end it with "let's all have a fun night"! I did just that, threw in a little jab about the rain and all was hunky dory. 



Do you have a plan of what to say at your toasts? If you are already married how did you handle being toasted to? 

*All photos by Martin's Photography


No comments:

Post a Comment