Monday, August 29, 2011

My Love Affair With Details

I am a detail person. When I tell a story or reminisce of something, you do not get just the outer details from me. No, you get the whole sha-bang. You will know what people were wearing, eating, if they had a weird haircut, anything in the details that I might remember. I recently dug up an old letter that I had wrote to my mom and dad when I was away at a camp in sixth grade. The amount of detail from a 12 year old is seriously intense.


I mean really, who describes the material that their camp bed is made out of? Apparently I do. This is my personality. I love details. Except when I describe things now as a very mature adult, they are much more refined. I no longer babble about people having bad attitude problems. Right? Okay, i'll keep working on myself.

How does this relate to wedding planning? I am picky. I see things in such great detail. One of the first things to do when wedding planning is to create an inspiration board. I put this off for a very long time because almost every picture I looked at, I found a detail I did not like. I finally had to come to terms with the fact that this is just "inspiration." I need to find a common theme of things that I like....even if there are parts of it that I dislike.


Here is what I came up with:

First Row: Image via: My Fancy Style Dresses Blog /Image via: Etsy/
Image via: Style Me Pretty  Photo by: JAC Photography/
Second Row: Image via: Blooming Wedding Cake for Elegant Bride Pink Cake Box
Image via: Project Wedding/Image via: Project Wedding /Image via: Etsy/
Third Row: Image via: Etsy /Image via: Project Wedding/
Fourth Row:  Project Wedding /Image via: Style Me Pretty Photo by: Megan Thiele Studios/
Image via: Project Wedding

What I decided to do when creating my inspiration board is to find random things I like for whatever reason. Be it colors, shapes, styles and so on.  It is not cohesive, it is somewhat random, but it is pretty.

As I continue along on this planning process I keep discovering so many more details that I love. They just keep piling up and I need to start deciding which ones are most important. I'll leave you today with this quote:

Details create the big picture.
-Sanford I. Weill

Who else has a love for details?
Do you find it to hinder or help in your planning process?

No comments:

Post a Comment