Friday, June 15, 2012

Honeymoon in Tulum: Part Tres

The final installment of my honeymoon series is all about the Mayan ruins. If you ever find yourself in or near Tulum, you must visit the ruins. It is just wrong if you don't.

I was a little skeptical at first thinking this outing would be boring. I honestly did not know much about the Mayans and wasn't entirely sure what to expect. However, this turned out to be one my favorite parts of the week.

There are a few different ruins that you can visit. In particular Tulum, Coba and Chichen Itza. We chose to visit Tulum because it is set back on cliffs overlooking the ocean and it is much closer than the other ruins. However, Coba is the only one you can actually climb and is set back into the jungle, and Chichen Itza is just magnificently huge. I do plan to visit the two others if I am ever back in that area.

For now though, Tulum was a great introduction to the Mayan ruins. Many people decide to use a tour guide, but we chose to just walk around and read the little informational signs. That was sufficient enough for us and I actually quite enjoyed that.

Might I suggest wearing tennis shoes. They are not quite as fabulously comfortable as flip flops, but you will thank me. I had actually planned on wearing flip flops until Mr. Buck insisted that I wear tennis shoes. I complained and said I am going to look funny with my shorts on...but he said that you are just asking to stub your toe or get a blister. I complied and I am so thankful that I did. There were so many people wearing flip flops who looked to be in a little pain. I proudly marched on by in my Nike's. Functionality won yet again.

If nothing else, the Tulum ruins have quite the photo backdrop.










There are many ruins across the world, have you ever visited any? What did you think of them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment