Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Camo Grooms Cake

I always knew that I wanted to include a grooms cake during the wedding festivities. The perfect fit for us would be at our rehearsal lunch. My latest wedding obsession has been trying to find the right bakery to complete my unique request. I thought I had the perfect bakery squared away, until she emailed me to tell me that now she will be gone on vacation the week of my wedding. Well that's a bummer, and thanks for waiting two months before my wedding to tell me this.

I thought for a split second about freaking out about this...but really when it comes down to it, it's a cake. Not the wedding cake, a grooms cake. No need to worry, I just need to find a new baker.

First I should show you the object of my affection here, and then explain my issue.

As some of you may know by now, Mr. Buck is a big time duck hunter. Which means I wanted his grooms cake to include two things: camo and a duck. I preferably wanted the duck made out of red velvet cake so that I could have my Steel Magnolias moment.

{Image via Fan Pop}

I went on a search trying to find just the right cake to make everyone "ooh and ahh" over. I finally found the cake I had been looking for, that included all of my specific elements. I definitely would not need it this grand, but something along these lines would be magnificent. 

{Image via Found Splash}

Here is the problem I have ran into with multiple bakeries. Most are willing to create the duck out of red velvet, but it nearly doubles the price of the cake. The majority of the bakeries suggest doing the camo base, with a plastic duck on top. I am willing to pay the extra cost if it is worth it...but I am not convinced that it is. At the end of the day...the cake gets eaten no matter what. Does it really matter if the duck is made out of cake too? 

What do you think, Hive? Should I fork out the extra dough to have my Steel Magnolias moment, or should I go the budgeting route and adorn a plastic duck on top of a camo cake? Do you have any plans to include a grooms cake at your wedding? 

1 comment:

  1. I would ask the bakery if they would "mold" the duck with red velvet cake ball mixture. It can be frozen then a crumb coat of buttercream icing slapped on it then can be covered with fondant. Coming from someone who makes cakes, it is a lot of work to make something like this, but if it's what you want, then I say go for it!!

    ReplyDelete